COVID-19 UPDATE: In spite of the pandemic, our office remains open and our hours are the same. Please call us today so we can best accommodate you. We hope you and your family stay and remain safe.

Manhattan: 212-689-5000   Long Island: 516-535-6666  Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx/Staten Island: 718-SERIOUS (737-4687)

Available 24/7   Free Consultation

No Fee Until We Win

Available 24/7   Free Consultation   No Fee Until We Win   212-689-5000

Available 24/7 | Free Consultation | No Fee Until We Win

Manhattan: 212-689-5000
Long Island: 516-535-6666
Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx/Staten Island:
718-SERIOUS (737-4687)

Serious Injuries And Accidents Require
Serious Lawyers

Serious Injuries And Accidents Require
Serious Lawyers

  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Car Accidents
  4.  → Hit and Run Accidents: What Type of Compensation Can I Get for My Injuries?

Hit and Run Accidents: What Type of Compensation Can I Get for My Injuries?

| Oct 15, 2019 | Car Accidents

Although most drivers who get into an accident stop and remain at the scene, many keep going. If you were injured after a hit and run accident in the Brooklyn, New York area, you need to know your options for recovering compensation.

New York Is A No-Fault State

It’s important to know that New York is a No-Fault state when it comes to auto insurance. This means that if you are involved in a hit and run accident that renders you injured, you may be able to recover compensation from your own insurance policy in your own household if you or anyone else in your household owns an automobile.

What Does No-Fault Insurance Cover?

Generally, all of your expenses related to your injuries after a hit and run accident are covered by No-Fault insurance. You can recover compensation for the following expenses:

  • Ambulatory services
  • Dental services
  • Diagnostic testing
  • Hospital expenses
  • Medical services
  • Psychiatric and physical rehabilitation costs
  • Surgical services
  • Treatment that relates to religion
  • Lost Wages
  • Pharmacy bills

Filing A No-Fault Claim

You must file your No-Fault claim within 30 days after the accident. Your insurance company must receive written proof about your injuries and any and all treatment you have received. You can also recover lost wages if your injuries render you unable to work.

Can I Also Sue For My Pain And Suffering And My Permanent Injuries?

Yes. You may be able to proceed against your own motor vehicle insurance company in your household outside of court at an arbitration hearing under the “uninsured motorist endorsement” of the household policy. If there is no motor vehicle in your household, you can file a claim with a New York State agency set up to handle uninsured/hit and run claims where there is no known insurance. This is known as the Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation.